The information below has been compiled from the Helpline library, based on the answers you have given and the resources you have requested. When a resource is available online, you can view it by clicking on the underlined link.
We have selected case studies and other resources based upon your responses to Questions 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d. The case studies listed match as many as possible of your responses. The number of matching responses is shown. The "Other Resources" are bibliography entries that correspond to the issues that you identified in Question 1a.Case Studies (matching 4/4 responses).
- Decatur Roundtables (Decatur, Georgia)
- KCK Study Circles (Kansas City, Kansas)
- Kuna ACT (Kuna, Idaho)
- Portsmouth Listens (Portsmouth, New Hampshire)
- "Speak Up! Engaging Policymakers with Educators and Communities in Deliberative Dialogue," Insights on Education Policy, Practice, and Research, October, 1999.
- "Arkansans Speak Up! On Education," Report to the Arkansas Blue Ribbon Commission on Public Education, April 17, 2002.
- Fanselow, Julie, Kuna, Idaho: Where a Community Pulls Together to Face Growth (Pomfret, CT: Paul J. Aicher Foundation, 2004).
- Fooksman, Leon, "Village Foundation to Cease Operations," Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, July 16, 2004.
- Goldman, Joe, "Kuna, Idaho," Report to the Kettering and Hewlett Foundations.
- Hendrie, Caroline, "In U.S. Schools, Race Still Counts," EdWeek, January 21, 2004.
- Jehl, Jeanne, Martin J. Blank, and Barbara McCloud, Education and Community Building: Connecting Two Worlds (Washington, DC: Institute for Educational Leadership, 2001).
- Losen, Daniel J., and Gary Orfield, "Racial Inequity in Special Education," Harvard Education Press, 2002.
- Mengual, Gloria F., "Portsmouth, N.H.: Where Public Dialogue is a Hallmark of Community Life," http://www.studycircles.org/en/Article.141.aspx
- Solomon, Lois, "Group Proposes an Academy for Underprivileged Students," Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, May 11, 1999.
- Stone, Clarence, "Civic Capacity and Urban Education," Urban Affairs Review, May 2001.
- Stone, Clarence, Jeffrey Henig, Bryan Jones, and Carol Pierannunzi, Building Civic Capacity: The Politics of Reforming Urban Schools (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2001).
- Tatum, Beverly Daniels, Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race (New York: Basic Books, 1999).
This pie chart displays the relative priorities that you assigned to project goals in Question 2.
3. Success Factors and Organizing Tasks
Here we provide the information you requested in your responses to Question 3.